Promoting Awareness of Airfield Changes
Attention pilots and all other O’Hare International Airport airfield users:
On June 27, 2013 another set of taxiway name changes will occur and new declared distances will go into effect on Runway 9R. In addition, new Taxiway Z will be published.
Information about the changes is provided below in two sections: O’Hare south airfield changes and O’Hare north airfield changes.
O’Hare – South Airfield Changes
On June 27, 2013 another set of taxiway name changes will occur at O’Hare. These changes will be on the south airfield and are being undertaken to comply with new FAA regulations and to prepare for the full implementation of the O’Hare Modernization Program.
In addition to the redesignation, the next set of O'Hare taxiway names changes are also scheduled to occur. These changes will focus on the north airfield.
• Taxiway S becomes Y
• Taxiway N becomes P
• Taxiway PP becomes RR
• Taxiway S1 becomes Y1
• Taxiway S2 becomes Y2
• Taxiway S3 becomes Y3
• Taxiway S4 becomes Y4
• Taxiway S5 becomes Y5
• Taxiway QQ becomes JJ
• Taxiway QQ1 becomes JJ1
Click here to view/download a full ORD aerial map that highlights the changes on ORD's South Airfield.
O’Hare – North Airfield Changes
On June 27, 2013 new declared distances will go into effect at O’Hare on Runway 9R. Both the ASDA and LDA will be reduced to 7,709 feet. In addition, new Taxiway Z will be published. The taxiway will remain closed until construction is finished in Fall.
Click here to view/download a full ORD aerial map that highlights the changes on ORD's North Airfield.
The changes are part of an overall taxiway renaming implementation plan for O’Hare that will evolve over the course of the next 18 months and beyond to encompass the full construction of the O’Hare Modernization Program (OMP). In order to accomplish these changes, a small group of taxiways will be re-designated every 56 days beginning January 10, 2013.
Taxiway change dates for 2013 will be:
New sections of airfield pavement south of Runway 10/28 have been built and are visible. These sections remain closed to operations while construction of the O’Hare Modernization Program (OMP) continues.
Many more changes are coming to O’Hare
• Runway 10C-28C to be commissioned - October 17, 2013
• Runway 10R-28L to be commissioned - October 15, 2015
Please bookmark this web page and check back frequently to view/download updated maps and information. A full listing of recent airfield changes at O’Hare is provided at the bottom of this page.
About the Chicago Department of Aviation Pilot Awareness Campaign
A small change can make a big difference at an airport. O'Hare International Airport is undergoing major construction as part of the O'Hare Modernization Program. Construction activity may impact aircraft and vehicle operations, or new pavement may become active, changing the flow of traffic. Airport users need to familiarize themselves with these changes in a timely basis to ensure a safe operating environment.
How you can help spread the word
There are many ways in which you can help us educate stakeholders about the Chicago Department of Aviation (CDA) Pilot Awareness Campaign. Help us distribute this information broadly throughout your organization:
- Post information on Web sites
- Blast e-mail information to employees and colleagues
- Bookmark this webpage, link to this webpage (flychicago.com/pilotnews) or e-mail the webpage address to your employees and colleagues
- Download and print attached fliers and place in employee break rooms and pilot lounges
- Attach fliers to paychecks and post them on bulletin boards
- Distribute fliers in staff meetings
The success of the CDA Pilot Awareness Campaign depends upon all of O'Hare International Airport's users - from pilots to mechanics to motor truck drivers and many more. We appreciate your assistance in helping us spread the word about the upcoming changes.
Recent Airfield Changes
Click on the links below to view details of recent airfield changes:
- May 2, 2013 Taxiway Re-naming
- March 7, 2013 Taxiway Re-naming
- January 10, 2013 Taxiway Re-naming
- October 20, 2011 Northeast Cargo/GA Ramp - New Taxiway and Ramp Configuration [PDF]
- June 30, 2011 New Hot Spot and Temporary Cargo and GA Ramp [PDF]
- May 6, 2010 Runway 14R-32L Shortened [PDF]
- November 20, 2008 Runway 9L-27R Opens [PDF]
- September 5, 2008 Runway 10-28 Extension [PDF]
- June 5, 2008 Taxiway C to A1 [PDF]
- August 30, 2007 Runway 9-27 Switch [PDF]
- July 5, 2007 North-South Runway Split [PDF]